Monday, April 07, 2008

Talks on the Screen Porch.

Yes, I remember when Pappy would take us out on the front porch and spin a yarn or two. Neighbors you drop by to talk about the crop and whether or not we were gonna get any rain. Okay, so none of that happened where I grew up in Atanta–a city that's largely devoid of any southern charm. But it is the rather cool sentiment behind The Moth in NYC. From themoth.org:

The Moth, a not-for-profit storytelling organization, was founded in New York in 1997 by poet and novelist George Dawes Green, who wanted to recreate in New York the feeling of sultry summer evenings on his native St. Simon's Island, Georgia, where he and a small circle of friends would gather to spin spellbinding tales on his friend Wanda's porch.


This is my new favorite Podcast. I fire up the Moth podcast, put the headphones on and I'm lost. It has an intimate quality like somehow I am sitting on a porch somewhere in St. Simon's. My favorite story so far comes from Malcolm Gladwell. I like how he turns his first job in journalism into a tall tale of sorts. Its well worth leaning back, closing your eyes and taking a listen. There's a lot worse ways to spend 14 minutes and 23 seconds.


"I can't see any screen porches from here."

No comments: