Thursday, May 03, 2007

In Praise of Absurdity

I've been thinking quite a bit about where I want to work assuming I end up with a decent book. I've been paying attention to the ad world consistently for about two years and the work that I tend to like the most has an appreciation of the absurd.

I pretty much love anything that comes out of Goodby or TBWA/Chiat Day NYC. I'm a huge fan of the relatively new Starburst commercial featuring the Little Lad. I love the Slowkys for Comcast and loved the original Emerald Nuts campaign.

I thought about why I gravitate towards that sort of work. And then I thought of Ernest. When I was a kid, it didn't get much better than Ernest Goes to Camp. I remember reciting the lines from the beginning of the movie when Ernest confesses to the twentieth century's most infamous crimes as the camp nurse gives him a shot ("I am Josef Mengele! I kidnapped the Lindbergh baby!"). Maybe it's genetic or the result of weird parents, but I've always responded to the absurd.

So here it is, The Little Lad followed by Ernest.




1 comment:

Rory said...

This is your first comment... I will attest to your enjoyment of absurdity.