Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What I Remember About Alex Bogusky's Talk.

I thought it would be fun to hold off on writing about it until it had a while to soak in. You know, wait and see what sticks. Unfortunately, I was tainted a bit by Danny G's post on AdPulp yesterday. So I won't mention presenting ideas as press releases or how Bogusky and Chuck Porter shaped the agency.

What stuck out to me was the way he deals with creative block. At the Circus, we've been taught dozens of techniques for breaking through. But they're all focused on treating it as it happens. Crispins' approach is more of a preventative method.

Teams will spend some portion of their day just sort of look at each other and say things like, "I'm so fucking creative right now. You look like you're feeling creative too." They also keep loose by playing little improve games. For example, someone will walk up to someone on another team and say "Hey, I had a great idea for that project you're working on..." without having an idea. Just start the sentence and see what comes out. As for Alex, he pictures ideas and creativity just dripping off him. Coming up with ideas is no problem because they're just falling off constantly. That's a pretty cool way to think about it.

1 comment:

Dan Goldgeier said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Mike. I'm a Circus grad, by the way. Keep writing!